Android Mobile App Developer
Hey! We’re Radical I/O Technology, a people-first software development lab & consultancy that loves to mix interesting tech with doing good in the world. We attract clients and employees who share many of our same values of integrity, honesty, approachability, quality, community, and collaboration.
We're currently looking for an Android mobile app developer (intermediate or senior) to work with us on a freelance/contractor or a fixed term employee basis (part-time to start; full-time possible after trial period).
You'll be working on enhancements and new features for our BeThere360 app (also used by the BC Lions). We'd particularly love to work with you if: you consider an app's usability with the end user in mind, you contribute your ideas to making a digital product better, and you collaborate well with designers.
Initially we will need your help part-time; however, we will be doing a bigger product roll-out over the next few months, and so we anticipate the role will turn into a full-time one. This is a great opportunity to use this time to see if we all work well together.
To become an Android Developer with Radical I/O, we'd love to see your experience in:
- Android app development using Android Studio and Android SDK
- possessing strong Java skills
- working with remote data APIs via REST and JSON
- optimizing data performance with tools like Realm and SQLite
- crafting great UI with keeping Material UI guidelines in mind
- distributing apps to Google Play
- using Git repos as your version control of choice
- staying on top of best practices and latest trends in Android development
Bonus/nice to haves (these skills are not required but, if you do have any of them, be sure to let us know):
- iOS and/or hybrid web (React Native or Ionic) development
- working with Cordova/PhoneGap plugins
- UX/UI design
We also look for people who:
- write clean code, have written unit tests, and who adhere to effective software design principles
- have worked within agile processes like Scrum or Kanban, and used tools like JIRA or similar
- are comfortable working professionally with clients in varying industries
- are continuously learning
- communicate and collaborate well and often
- want to build community and/or make a difference in the world (be sure to include more info about this in the summary section or your cover letter)
THE OTHER STUFF
Local Vancouver, BC applicants are preferred, particularly those who can work in our office at least 50% of the time.
We are actively working towards changing the gender imbalance in the tech industry (see our work with App Camp For Girls), and we highly encourage devs whose identities are under-represented in this field to apply. If you don’t match 100% of the job requirements, but are passionate about what you do and eager to learn, we want to hear from you.
Please only apply if you are authorized to work full-time in Canada for any employer. We welcome applicants on working holiday visas and post-graduate work permits.
Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
We offer a flexible and inclusive space to work where we welcome your unique self, including:
- Inviting office in downtown Vancouver at Beatty and Robson, close to all skytrain lines, shopping, restaurants, the seawall, and entertainment.
- Encouraging participation in professional events, meetups, conferences, and giving back to the community.
- Regular team social events and meals, including unlimited daily drinks and snacks.
- Excellent time off policy and flexibility.
Whether you're very experienced or new to the field, we look beyond cookie-cutter requirements and instead focus on your potential. We hire skilled teammates who are hungry to learn and grow, and who really care about the quality of work they produce. We want you to be proud of working on our team, and we want to feel privileged to know you.