Backend API and Cloud Developers (Senior and Intermediate)
Hey! We’re Radical I/O, a people-first enterprise software development consultancy and lab that develops technology with purpose. We work with cities and organizations to develop meaningful, data-driven solutions that provide people with easy access to information, when and where they need it.
We're hiring both at the intermediate and senior level of experience. Although not a hard and fast rule, we typically consider intermediate devs to be those who have 2-5 years of relevant work experience, one primary area of tech focus, and require some direction. Senior devs typically have 6+ years of relevant experience, are strong in more than one area of tech, and are quite self-directed.
Radical uses an API-centric approach to everything we do. As a team, we are experts in applications spanning across web, mobile, and voice technologies. Integrating AI technologies into our services, building highly connected streaming data systems, and developing fault tolerant data services are just some of the interesting tasks coming up for the team.
Our custom development work with various private and public organizations means that our entire team has to be quite flexible, collaborative, and we enjoy tackling unknowns. Throughout the year, you could work on 2-4 different projects, all with different tech stacks and deliverables. If you like change and the challenge of getting to know new clients, environments, and tech, then please do consider joining us. Depending on your experience level and interests, you'll also have the opportunity to work on building and configuring cloud infrastructure and automated deployments.
Radical is also starting out on an exciting journey to create a platform for cities (SimpliCity) that uses data to enhance decision-making, service delivery, and improve people’s lives. We’re also launching CityAssistant.ai as the first module of the platform. As part of work on the platform, we will be exploring and implementing software that utilizes artificial intelligence, machine learning, and real-time data streams. You will have the opportunity to be involved in areas relevant to your skills and interests as they arise in our product roadmap.
We are actively working towards changing the gender imbalance in the tech industry, and we highly encourage teammates whose identities are under-represented in tech to apply. If you don’t match 100% of the job requirements, but have awesome life-skills, are passionate about what you do and eager to learn, we also want to hear from you.
To become a backend developer with Radical I/O, we'd love to see your experience in (and/or willingness to learn) many of the following:
- RESTful, JSON, GraphQL API design & development, and API Gateways
- data integrations between various legacy on-premise systems, SAAS apps, and APIs
- Java: J2EE/J2SE and Spring frameworks; messaging and JMS; JDBC, JPA/Hibernate, ORM; knowledge of design patterns, and Dependency Injection vs. Inversion of Control concepts.
- Databases: NoSQL databases like MongoDB, and Relational databases, like MySQL/MariaDB, Oracle, MS SQL Server
- Docker containerization and deployment
- AWS and/or Azure and/or GCP cloud services
- having Git repos as your version control of choice
- using build tools such as Ant, Maven, or Gradle, and working with continuous integration tools (like Jenkins) and processes
Bonus/nice to have's (these are not required items, but feel free to highlight any of these items you also know):
- Security and Identity management: IAM, SSO, User directories, Federated Identity, OAuth, security tokens, TLS, public and private keys; including platforms like ForgeRock
- Terraform infrastructure as code
- Event Streaming: Kafka, Flink, Spark
- Iot Technologies: MQTT and on device software, and the concept of Digital Twins
- Integration technologies and ESB platform experience, like TIBCO, Mulesoft, and others
- Machine Learning: Python, Jupiter, OpenCV, Data Science
- An interest in growing your career and professional network by writing white papers and blog posts, and speaking on panels
We also look for people who:
- write clean code, have written unit tests, and who adhere to effective software design principles
- have worked within agile processes like Scrum or Kanban, and used tools like JIRA or similar
- are comfortable working professionally with clients in varying industries
- are problem-solvers, comfortable with ambiguity and unknowns, and love continuously learning
- communicate and collaborate well and often
- want to build community and/or make a difference in the world (be sure to include more info about this in the summary section or your cover letter)
We look beyond cookie-cutter requirements and instead focus on your potential. We hire skilled teammates who are hungry to learn and grow, and who really care about the quality of work they produce. We want you to be proud of working on our team, and we want to feel privileged to know you.
Even if we don't call you in for an interview right away, we often have projects start fairly quickly with new clients, so we will always look through our applicant database first. We'd also love to keep a small roster of people we trust and who we can easily reach out to during these times.
We offer a flexible and inclusive space to work where we welcome your unique self, including:
- Encouraging participation in professional events, meetups, conferences, and giving back to the community (including up to 5 days paid per year for volunteering).
- Excellent time off policy (3 weeks paid vacation + paid 4-5 day December closure + generous paid sick & personal time and flexibility.
- Paid MSP and Extended Health Benefit premiums for employees and their spouse/family.
- Regular team social events and meals, plus unlimited drinks, snacks, coffee & tea.
- ‘Coffee buddies’ program that randomly matches you with 1-2 team members every two weeks to go and have a hot or iced beverage and connect on a personal level.
- Inviting office in downtown Vancouver at Beatty and Robson, close to all SkyTrain lines, shopping, restaurants, the seawall, and entertainment.
Most of what we develop is in the cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP/Firebase). We orchestrate deployments using Terraform, Docker, and Kubernetes, and automate continuous integration (CI/CD) with Jenkins. We’re heavily focused on API-oriented architectures and system integrations that run at scale. We often do integrations of new services that connect into existing technology for our clients, which requires a problem-solving mindset. Data is at the core of everything we do. For our day-to-day collaborative work, we tend to rely on Atlassian products (JIRA, Bitbucket, Confluence), Google Suite, and Invision.
THE OTHER STUFF
Local Vancouver, BC applicants are preferred as this is a highly hands-on role where working in person with our team and clients is very important.
We are open to hiring freelancers/contractors and/or permanent full-time employees.
Please only apply if you are authorized to work full-time in Canada for any employer; we welcome people on working holiday visas and post-grad work permits.
Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.