Development Lead (Fullstack Web)
Hey! We’re Radical I/O, a people-first enterprise software development consultancy and lab that develops technology with purpose. We work with cities and organizations to develop meaningful, data-driven solutions that provide people with easy access to information, when and where they need it.
The Development Lead (Fullstack Web) is a newly-created position at Radical, and is perfect for someone who is excited by shaping the role. This position appeals to those who like to have one foot in development and the other in leading people.
You will help lead the technical design and day-to-day implementation of our upcoming smart city software platform, along with our continued work providing agile professional services for custom software development and integrations for cities, government and related organizations.
You'll be a senior technical resource to our developers and to our CTO. Exploring new technologies, making technical design suggestions, and a willingness to jump in on complex development tasks to help a project succeed will also be needed. You'll be the bridge to our project manager and will be responsible for optimizing the efforts of a group of developers to ensure that tasks are prioritized, tracked, and executed with quality. You will lead approach and implementation discussions (and document them) with the development team.
We work in a highly collaborative, flexible, and inclusive environment, so while we are looking for someone with strong experience and opinions, we also appreciate someone who knows how to gently and persuasively win over consensus and buy-in from our team members, our leadership team, and our clients. As a senior technical member of our team, you'll have the opportunity to take part in meetups/panels/presentations, along with writing internal and external reports, and relevant blog posts.
You'll do well in this role if you have:
- already been working as a dev/team lead for 2+ years; or, perhaps you’ve been performing dev lead work but haven’t yet been promoted into the role;
- worked in both services-focused and product-focused companies, and understand the challenge of balancing external client requirements and expectations with internal agile development practices;
- 8+ years of fullstack web development experience (or equivalent); and,
- a computer science degree (or equivalent training, certs, experience) with a strong understanding of various programming concepts and approaches, as well as effective software design principles.
- excel at breaking down and communicating complex technical solutions into manageable and understandable pieces;
- enjoy motivating and mobilizing a tech team;
- are continuously learning and tackling unknowns;
- communicate and collaborate well and often; and,
- want to build community and/or make a difference in the world.
We look beyond cookie-cutter requirements and instead focus on your potential. We hire skilled teammates who are hungry to learn and grow, and who really care about the quality of work they produce. We want you to be proud of working on our team, and we want to feel privileged to know you.
We offer a flexible and inclusive space to work where we welcome your unique self, including:
- Encouraging participation in professional events, meetups, conferences, and giving back to the community (including up to 5 days paid per year for volunteering).
- Excellent time off policy (3 weeks paid vacation + paid 4-5 day December closure + unlimited paid sick & personal time within reason) and flexibility.
- Regular team social events and meals, plus unlimited drinks, snacks, coffee & tea.
- ‘Coffee buddies’ program that randomly matches you with 1-2 team members every two weeks to go and have a hot or iced beverage and connect on a personal level.
- Inviting office in downtown Vancouver at Beatty and Robson, close to all SkyTrain lines, shopping, restaurants, the seawall, and entertainment.
We are actively working towards changing the gender imbalance in the tech industry, and we highly encourage teammates whose identities are under-represented in tech to apply. If you don’t match 100% of the job requirements, but have awesome life-skills, are passionate about what you do and eager to learn, we also want to hear from you.
THE OTHER STUFF
Local Vancouver, BC applicants are preferred as this is a highly hands-on role where working in person with our team and clients is very important.
Please only apply if you are authorized to work full-time in Canada for any employer; we welcome people on working holiday visas and post-grad work permits.
Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.